About Mould

What is mould?

Moulds (molds) and Mildew are living organisms known as fungi, which are present at low levels virtually everywhere, indoors and outdoors. Mould (mold) has a musky odour and presents as green, grey, brown or black spots and clusters. The most common types of indoor moulds are Alternaria, Aspergillus, Cladosporium and Penicillium.

How does mould affect you and me?

From mild allergic reactions such as wheezing, irritated nose, eyes, throat or lungs through to triggering asthmatic attacks. If mould affected materials are not properly cleaned, high levels of airborne mould spores may cause health risks for mould-sensitive people and pets caused by mycotoxins. Mycotoxin exposure at high levels can lead to more severe neurological problems. Prolonged exposure such as exposure where one sleeps can be particularly harmful.

How does mould get on a surface???

Mould moves from surface to surface when disturbed (e.g. wind draft), releasing microscopic spores that float through the air and settling on a surface. If the right conditions are present mould and mildew growth is exponential making it important that mould and mildew problems be controlled as early as possible.

inspection
inspection
remedy
odour control